Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day 16 (Aug 22): Pacific Coastal Highway

Before we set off on the road trip, we heard the discussion on the radio about Pacific Coast Highway and Great Ocean Road, debating which is better. Now that I have seen both, I still can't decide on which is better. PCH covers more grounds I believe and has lots to see along the way including these haystack rocks, dunes and forests,while Great Ocean Road has the undeniably beautiful apostles, wild nature and many cute towns.

If you look closer, you'll see a couple strolling on the beach


We met a very nice old couple while we were taking in this view. They look like they were in their 50s the most, but to my surprise, they were in their 80s! The man is/was a professor at U of Oregon and an entrepreneur. Their secret to the health is...hike, see places, enjoy life and be happy. We chatted for a good half hour and I wish I could hear more about their travels but I made Chris stopped so much earlier in the morning that we were already behind schedule by then. So we went on to check out what we read about...

The Octopus Tree!

Yes, they all come out from one root


Surfers' paradise

Heavy metal blasting from car speakers, young people partying...I'm too old for this crowd :) If we drive by here again in the future, I will run (or roll) down that dune on the far right.


I wonder if their friends at Fishermen Wharfs join them here, or if they have left to go further north too

The driver enjoying his cup of espresso

The road we will take in a few minutes

I was so tired by then I could barely make it up the steep slope so Chris ran up to check out if the view is worth seeing and ran back down to hike up with me again. I'm glad I continued up.

A little stone house on top of the hill.



I think this is Coos Bay

Sealions sun-bathing and gulls chilling to the sound of crashing waves

What a beautiful day